Book Review--To Fly Again by Gracia Burnham

This book has been out for quite awhile. . .and I should have read the first book first, In The Presence of My Enemies. However, after hearing Gracia Burnham speak at a luncheon a week ago, I simply had to read the book. Her story touched me. I didn't remember that she had been kidnapped and I didn't know her name but many other will. Gracia and Martin Burnham were kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf terrorists in the Philippine jungle and held hostage for a year. At the end of the year, Gracia was free with a gun shot wound to her leg and Martin had been shot and killed. Gracia's first book tells the story of their year in captivity in detail.

In this second book, she shares the lessons she learned as a result of her experience. Each chapter offers a glimpse into various lessons, Gracia learned along the way--such as Anger doesn't help, the power of a gentle word and God's best is yet to come. All of the lessons she shared offered a glimpse of something I could apply to my own life. But the last chapter where she shares that God's best is yet to come, is the one that ministered to me most of all. When she shared part of this story in person, it was here where the tears began to trickle down. You see I have struggled through my own jungle of sorts the past couple of years and I stopped dreaming. This chapter encourages you to hope and dream again. Another pastor friend had encouraged her with those words saying, Grace says, "For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." (Jeremiah 29:11) She shares these words as well as many of her own that were encouraing to me to keep going and realize God does truly want to bless us and the best is yet to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman