Books Reviews: Her Mother's Hope and Her Daughter's Dream by Francine Rivers

It has been awhile since I've read a Francine Rivers book although her books have touched my life in the past and made her one of my favorite authers. This week I read both in the set about mother/daughter relationships. These books are long but so good that I didn't get much done at home this week as I was living in the lives of Marta, Hidebrand, Carolyn, and May Flower Dawn. . .These four generations of women in one family through the span of several years gave me a glimpse into what can cause misunderstandings in families as well as how historical events shape us in ways we don't realize as we relate to one another. The first book seemed to set the stage for the future generations. It is easy to see the sins of pride and the consequences of poor communication from the beginning but to see how those issues might be resolved, the reader must follow the series to conclusion. My only complaint I didn't really care for in the series was that Rivers was fairly descriptive in some sexual scenes. That surprised me. I don't think it was necessary to the plot to have been described in the detail she did but otherwise she is a writer that keeps me continually interested and intrigued in her story.

Rivers' books make me think and I've thought about my relationship with my mom and grandma after reading tthese books. I've also thought about the relationship of the women in my husband's family. After reading this series, I want to truly work at leaving a legacy of communication and Christian love.

I checked both of these books out of my local library to read them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman