Book Review: Thunder dog by Michael Hingson with Susy Flory

I was so happy with my first choice of a book to review for Thomas Nelson. Thunder Dog by Michael Hingson, with Susy Flory, is a riveting story of Hingson's escape of the Twin Towers on 9/11 with his guide dog, Roselle. Hingson has been blind since he was a baby but readers of this book soon learn that blindness doesn't hold him back. Throughout the story, Hingson flashes back to his adventurous and mischievous years as a boy growing up into an intelligent, articulate adult who could do most things people with sight can do. His parents defied the doctor's advice of their day and didn't put Hingson in a special school for blind children. Instead, they encouraged him to do all that he could do and he was mainstreamed into public school. Those early experiences helped him learn things that would ultimately prove helpful as he sought to escape the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001. Hingson shares what happened that day as he chose to trust his guide dog, Roselle, and make his way out of the building amidst the crowd of people making their way down the stairs and out of the building.

I not only read this book but I also read much of it out loud to my son who is almost 10 years old--With him, I did leave out a couple of graphic parts about burn victims. Both he and I enjoyed this book. The story easily kept both of our attentions and he didn't want me to stop reading. Besides a behind-the-scenes look at the tragedy of Sept. 11, I believe we both also learned more about the way blind people wish to be viewed from those of us with sight. Hingson offers some "courtesy rules of blindness" to read at the end of the book that could be helpful in relating to blind folks.  Overall, this book was an inspiring adventure written with a wonderful rhythm as I learned about Hingson's early life as a blind man and how his experiences helped him survive. I highly recommend it.

In the interest of full disclosure, I was provided a complimentary copy of this book through Booksneeze. I was not required to write a positive review.

I review for BookSneeze®

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman