Book Review: Cascade: A Novel by Lisa T. Bergren




I couldn't wait to mentally travel back in time with the Betarrini sisters through reading Cascade. This is the second book of a trilogy in the River of Time series by Lisa T. Bergren. After Gabi and Lia briefly return to the present age, Gabi knows her heart belongs to Marcello and the fourteenth century. She persuades her sister, Lia, to help her return. This time the sisters bring their mom comes along for the trip through time. While the sisters were heroines in the first book, they also made some enemies who either want to see them dead or want to receive a big reward for their capture. . .all of which makes for an adventurous book full of medieval battles.

One of the things I liked about this book is that the sisters, as well as their mother, learn things through their experiences that they couldn't seem to learn in the present age. Gabi also clearly connects with God. Her heart seems to be as drawn to Him as it is to Marcello. I liked how Lisa draws Gabi to God through the story without being too preachy. It is a growing process as she realizes through her adventures that only God could ultimately be in charge of them. . .I don't want to give too much away as far as the actual story goes so I won't say anymore. I can't wait to read book three and am ready to download it to my Kindle. I made myself slow down on reading this book, knowing that in one more delicious book, my time travels with the Betarrini family will soon be over. . .For me, this is sort of like eating my favorite box of chocolates. . .sometimes you just have to slow down and savor those good things.

I would add that the covers on this series are absolutely gorgeous in my opinion too. This would be a great series to do with a book club. There are discussion questions in the book for a book club to use.

I won a free SIGNED :) copy of this book from David C. Cook's Facebook page and their Free Book Friday contest. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for my prize--I simply wanted to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman