Book Review: Gabby God's Little Angel by Sheila Walsh

Let me start out by saying that, Gabby, God's Little Angel by Sheila Walsh is an adorably illustrated book. The illustrator, Marina Fedotova, has created some sweet-looking children, animals and angels for these warmly illustrated, colorful pages. I read Sheila Walsh's adult fiction novel about angels, Angel Song, written with Kathryn Cushman and I thoroughly enjoyed it (see my review from June 13 on my blog). However, I was a little disappointed in this children's story.
In this children's story, Gabby, is a guardian angel assigned to watch over Sophie. Gabby helps keep Sophie safe as she rides her pony. After the pony ride, Sophie's Mom teaches her what Scripture says about God sending angels to protect us. The author's idea of teaching children that they are safe and that God sends angels to watch over them is from Psalm 91:9, 11, "The Lord is your protection. . .He has put his angels charge over you. They will watch over you, wherever you go." (ICB) This story seemed a little too silly for me, and my son even though I love that verse and I want my child to have that understanding. Also, I thought at times the language seemed to be for a toddler age and at other times for an older child. I read it with my 9-year old boy after I'd already made my mental review and asked him what he thought. He said 3 stars (out of 5), which is what I had already thought, too, interestingly enough. My son also thought she could have been a little more careful with her "Christian detailing" in the book. . ." Maybe younger children would feel differently about it.

I received an electronic copy of this book from Thomas Nelson as a part of their Booksneeze program. I was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman