Book Review: Love Does by Bob Goff


Love does. It sounds so simple and not all that profound. When I think of "love," I usually think of it as just mushy thoughts and feeling. Putting action with love puts a different spin on things. I was drawn to this book with the subtitle, "Discover a secretly incredible life in an ordinary world."

As I read Love Does by Bob Goff I was mesmerized by Bob's sense of adventure in living the Christian life. He did DO things but he didn't just "do." He did things with passion and incredible heart. I was mesmerized by all the "doing" he has done in his life. Each chapter in the book shares various life stories--How he took his kids on a world tour to eat ice cream with heads of state; How he made friends in Uganda, and they liked him so much he became the Ugandan consul; and How he got into law school through sitting on a bench outside the Dean’s office for seven days until they finally let him enroll and then he used his law career to help others for Christ. He lives his life by  being actively involved in drawing others to Christ in living with them in a way that reaches out to them and encourages them.  Some of the essays share how those who drew Bob to Christ did it by actively living the Christian life.

I once had a teacher tell me that I was a "doer" and it meant a lot to me at the time. Somewhere along the way, though I lost that title. I have let some things in life hinder me and I needed to get my "doer" pose back. I recommend this book to anyone who wants a lighthearted, yet encouraging, read. Each chapter stands alone but together they show a life this is truly lived out for Christ. If we believe John 3:16 that God loved us so much that he sent His son to die for us, then I have to ask myself, How do I live as a disciple and show His love to those around me. I do things  that reflect His love to those who need it. Simple but profound. . .

I received this book from Thomas Nelson through their Booksneeze program. I was not required to write a positive review.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman