Book Review: Prayers of a Stranger: A Christmas Journey by Davis Bunn



I picked up Prayers of a Stranger by Davis Bunn and couldn't put it down. . .It has been awhile since I've read a book by Davis Bunn and I forgot how easily it was to get caught up in his stories and want to stay there. In face, my one complaint about this book is that it ended all too quickly when I wanted to keep going with the characters.

Amanda and Chris Vance have had a challenging year. They lost their baby through a stillborn birth, they have struggled with jobs, and with family conflict. Yet, it is the struggle with their grief in the loss of their infant that Amanda struggles most with. Their older neighbors, Frank and Emily, face their own struggles. Frank needs a hip transplant and can not go with Emily to the Holy Land as they planned. At the last minute, Emily asks Amanda to join her on the trip.

Amanda and Emily visit many of the sights of Israel.  Bunn's descriptions bring the senses alive as you read.  I've never been there but I felt like I could see and smell the country through the pages of this book. Through a visit to the Wailing Wall, Amanda helps answer another young mother's prayer. Through Prayers of a Stranger, I ended the book feeling hopeful and realizing once again that God answers prayer in His timing and in His ways.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a good read. It is especially encouraging if you are looking for hope and healing. It does mention Christmas but it isn't a main focus so it would be appropriate for any time of year.

I received this book from Thomas Nelson through their Booksneeze program. I was not required to write a positive review.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman