Book Review: The Respect Dare by Nina Roesner




The Respect Dare from Nina Roesner offers women a book to help them learn how to show respect to their husbands. It is something like the Love Dare from the Fireproof movie except it is all about respect. In Ephesians 5:33, Paul wrote that a man "must love his wife as he loves himself and the wife must respect her husband."This book helps the reader understand what respect is and how to apply to her husband over the course of 40 days. Each day focuses on a different area of life that helps draw respect to the husband: positive words, organized house, sex, difficulties in marriage and more. It covers about every area you can think of. Each chapter offers a Bible verse, a personal story to consider, questions to answer and then the dare--how to apply what you've learned to one day (and hopefully more) in your marriage.

I found this book to be challenging and thought provoking. I read the book straight through and reflected on each chapter and the questions provided. Just doing that alone could be a help to anyone's marriage, I think. You can't help but act on good books that you meditate on, in my opinion. However, I have not yet done the Dare due to the time needed to complete the review. I do plan to do the dare and then come back with an update to the results. I think really working through the Respect Dare with your whole heart would yield positive results to a marriage.

The only thing that bothered me in this book was that she mentioned the Daughters of Sarah class a few times throughout the book. In the beginning of the book, she explains what this class is and why she created it. It sounds great--however  we don't have anything like it in my area. If someone does, or if someone wants to start one, I could sure see the benefit in doing this book with a group and having the support of other women on those days that you may not feel like continuing or to cheer you on when things go especially well. When she mentions the class in the book, I felt a little left out because I am doing it on my own. Still, for those doing it on their own, she offers an e-course for a small fee with information on the book as to how to be a part of that. I guess when I buy a self-help book, I hope that I am getting most of what I need from that book without paying for an added course and that is what bothered me. Others may feel differently. And the book certainly was a good book to add to my marriage collection all on its on. I would recommend it to any married woman or one soon to be married.

I received this book from Thomas Nelson through their Booksneeze program. I was not required to write a positive review.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman