Book Review: The Nesting Place by Myquillin Smith


 This past year we moved to a new house in a new town for my husband's job. I had lived in the same house for 12 years. . .so leaving wasn't easy for me. We purchased a house in a different flavor than our first one. . .so when I saw this book was available for review, I knew it was just what I needed to inspire me. Going from a 1920s two-story house to a 1970s ranch was an adjustment in tastes that I felt needed to become evident in my decorating style. I'm so glad I read The Nesting Place because Myquillin Smith inspired me in several ways.

Myquillin Smith is a blogger and self-taught decorator. Her book, The Nesting Place, is full of inspiration on how to make your house the home that you want and need for you and your family. . .regardless of your budget, your living arrangements (even if you are renting!), or most anything else that you think might stand in the way of making your place beautiful for your family. Smith helps you see that "creating a beautiful home is a journey, not a destination." This book "isn't about decorating a house. It's about crafting a beautiful, meaningful home that you love. . .right where you are." One of the things I especially appreciate about Smith's book is that she encourages you to give up perfection and create a home that you can use even with mistakes and imperfections. Smith says, "my home is a reflection of our life, and life's mess can be gloriously beautiful." Another thing she said that resonated with me is that "apologizing for our home declares that I'm not content."

This book offers encouragement to decorate in your own style. . .Plenty of photos of her house, and a few others, to give you creative ideas to draw from and some general guidelines on how to get started making changes so you feel more at home in your home, wherever that may be. I appreciate Myquillin sharing her journey of living in 13 different houses in 18 years. Her style left me feeling like we were just sharing ideas over coffee/tea.

She also shares her story of sponsoring a  Compassion child in Tanzania and shares more about her trip to visit him and the house he lives in. . .I  found that to be inspiring in it's own way. . .We sponsor a Compassion Child in Guatamala and I encourage anyone who is able to do the same. What a joy it is to get letters from them. . .and to make a difference in someone else's life.  I would love to visit our Katherin.

I received this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.

.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman