Book Review: Spark Joy by Marie Kondo



Spark Joy from Marie Kondo would help anyone take the Life-changing Magic Of Tidying Up to the next level. This book is "an illustrated master class on the art of organizing and tidying up." This book relays Marie Kondo's methods in complete detail for someone interested in putting all of her methods to work in their life.

Spark Joy is divided into three parts: KonMari Master Tips; The Tidying Encyclopedia; and Life-Changing Magic. In the first section, Marie Kondo shares what her method is and why it can help you live a more joyful life. The second section is a detailed description of how to go through your house completely, including the order she recommends. The last section offers advice on how to tie everything together into your house with your family. She also shares some things she struggled with here and offers some encouragement for making a few changes to make the plan work long term for you. The KonMari method is Marie Kondo's specific method for tidying your house up once and for all so it stays that way.

I find Marie Kondo's books to be inspiring. This one is no exception for me. I am in process of finishing our move to a new house in a new town. I am almost ready to use her method to go through my house and organize once and for all. I had things quite tidy and nice when we left our other house. However, I like the idea of looking at my things as to whether they spark joy or not. I have some things that I have kept out of obligation that I know will go. Then I liked that this book explains her folding method of clothes better, although I wish I had larger illustrations to work with. There are a few other illustrations in this book, but they are small. Also, Marie Kondo shares things from a Japanese perspective. I spent a year with a Japanese foreign exchange student, so I understand a bit about their culture. I could see things from her perspective and understood some of her unique terms. However, I could see where some American readers might struggle with some of her terms and ideas. However, if readers would keep the cultural differences in mind and find a way to relate to them, I think they could learn much and easily use this method for their house. Other than that, I liked this book and would recommend any of her books to someone looking to tidy up their house once and for all. More importantly, though, I look at my things differently now and I do really feel joy in my home and my surroundings.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman