Unstuffed by Ruth Soukup



Unstuffed  isn't your usual type of decluttering book as the subtitle says, Decluttering Your Home, Mind and Soul. Unstuffed offers advice on improving life in your home and with friends along with improving your spiritual and physical health. As I think about it, that is a tall order for this book.

Unstuffed is divided into three sections. Part one shares information on creating the home you want to live in as well as dealing with all the stuff that you fill it with. It isn't full of how to declutter because Soukup says she wrote another book on that topic. Part two shares information on how to slow down your schedule and clear up some of the paperwork that comes through your home. The last section of this part also contains a chapter on dealing with other people's stuff, whether it is given to you or you inherited it. The last part of the book offers information on how to cultivate real friendships and release those that are not serving you well or are toxic. It also offers advice on taking time for your own personal wellness in both body and soul.

 The chapter I found most helpful in Unstuffed was the chapter on dealing with stuff from other people. I haven't found another decluttering book to really tackle that struggle head on like Soukup. As an only child, I struggle with heirlooms and things to keep that I don't really care for but feel guilty if I get rid of. The book doesn't have me getting rid of anything yet but I can see where it offers valuable advice on having conversations on the topic with loved ones.

As a whole, however, this wasn't my favorite decluttering book. It was very broad in its topics although it did offer some great advice. I would recommend Unstuffed if you are looking for advice on how to make life improvements all through your life. However, I would recommend Joshua Becker's book, The More of Less, or Marie Kondo's book, The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up if you just want a book to help you best clean out the house. I did enjoy the last chapter in which Soukup sharing her spiritual journey and how she came to know Christ, which also sets this book apart as clearly a Christian book. All in all, I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.

I received this book from Zondervan. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman