Vegangelical by Sarah Withrow King




In Vegangelical, Sarah Withrow King encourages Christian readers to consider what the Bible has to say about the stewardship of animals as related to our world today. She encourages us to look at creation through the lens of God.

In the first section of Vegangelical, King lays a theological foundation for her premise that God wants us to care for animals and the world around us. I especially liked this section of the book. 

The second section of the book offers information on the way animals in our world today are cared for in various situations: our pets at home, wild animals, research animals and animals used for food and clothing. King says she has a passion for Jesus and animals which is why she is a vegan. That is quite clear throughout the writing of this book. Much of what King shares in this book is quite blunt and the stories are disturbing to say the least with the way she has presented them. I was already familiar with much of what she shared on factory farming and animal care-taking so she didn't really shock me with the stories, but I think some readers may find them disturbing. I can't say that I agree with all of her conclusions, but I do think she is sincere in her mission to encourage people to think about our relationships to animals today. However, each chapter has a list of questions and it is a book that would be good for a book discussion. Vegangelical could get Christians talking and relating to one another in some new ways. I think that is great as long as people are free to share without judgement. Honestly, from my point of view, I felt some of her written statements came across as judgemental of the reader more than conviction from Scripture in this section. There were also a couple of stories that I didn't feel were entirely accurately based on facts either. She does share her sources in the back which is good, so you may want to do some of your own research. Again, I think that is great because she has spurred us on to think and discuss these issues.

Vegangelical is an interesting book if you are wanting to learn more about God's creation and our relationship to Him with animals.

I received this book from Zondervan. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman