Modern Potluck by Kristen Donnelly



My husband's family gets together a few times a year for special occasions with a potluck meal together. Occasionally we go to a church or neighborhood potluck or the yearly potluck family reunion with my family. While I usually bring an old favorite, I thought Modern Potluck by Kristin Donnelly might offer some new ideas for a traveling dish.

I especially enjoyed reading the introduction and cook's notes in Modern Potluck as I wasn't familiar with this author's background. She also offers some great advice and ideas here and throughout the book. She shares her tips on making perfect hard-boiled eggs, on choosing the right salt, cooking beans, tips on making a great fruit salad, and various other helpful hints.

Recipe chapters in Modern Potluck include: Snacks, Dips and Drinks; Main Course Salads & Other Room Temperature Main Dishes; Slow-Cooked and Served Hot; The 9 X 13 inch Pan: Casserole and the Like; Supporting-Role salads & Sides; Baked and Savory; Sweets; and Condiments and Other Things in Jars. The recipes that really caught my eye were: several types of deviled eggs, Chinese Chicken Salad, Cornmeal-Crusted Oven-Fried Chicken to serve cold (gluten free optional), Healthy Root Vegetable Gratin, Many Bean Salad,  Roasted and Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad, Vegetarian Borscht Salad, Mollys Scallion Pull-apart Bread, and Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake. I wanted to make the Bundt Cake for my review but my Bundt pan is smaller than the 12-cup Pan required for the recipe.

I liked that Modern Potluck has so many helpful tips and hints for potluck. I also like the full color pictures throughout the book that accompany nearly all of the recipes. One thing that I didn't like in this book was that some recipes require you to weigh the food called for in ounces, instead of giving the amount needed in cups. I know that can be a good thing but it isn't as handy for me in my kitchen. Otherwise, I think Modern Potluck would be a good addition to any cookbook library.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snow Country by Kristin Neva

Kissing Father Christmas by Robin Jones Gunn

Street Smarts From Proverbs by Mitch Kruse with D. J. Williams