Well by Sarah Thebarge


Sarah Thebarge is a Yale-trained physician assistant. Well is her story of her spiritual and vocational calling to medical missions work in Togo, West Africa.

Well is a different book than most books that I have read. This book is not divided into chapters. Well is Thebarge's story told pretty much cover to cover of her trip to Togo to work at the Hospital of Hope, a conservative Baptist missions-run hospital in Mango, Togo. Thebarge shares her medical challenges in treating the local people in great detail. She also shares her spiritual challenges and takeaways from the experience, along with the physical toll on her body and mind from the experience.

Love Looks Around was my big takeaway from Well. I may not be able to go to a missions hospital and work in my lifetime, but I am able to look around with a love that comes from God and see what I can do to love those around me as I believe God would want me to. I am glad I read the book for the spiritual takeaways. I also felt Thebarge shared with candor and honesty her experiences which showed that missions work isn't as glamorous as one might imagine. At the same time, I have kind of a weak stomach for medical trauma so some of the details were a bit too detailed for me. I think someone in the medical field would probably appreciate those details more than I did. All in all, Well is an interesting look at medical missions and a book that I would recommend, especially to those interested in this field.

I received this book from FaithWords/Hachette Book Group. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman