When Through Deep Waters by Rachelle Dekker





Alicen McCaffrey is living the good life according to her mother, Betty. She has a beautiful house, a successful husband and a beautiful daughter named Jane. Unfortunately, that all changes with a tragedy that Alicen feels responsible for. . .and it doesn't take Alicen long to hit the lowest point of her life. Feeling a change of scenery would do her good, Alicen accompanies her friend, Louise, back to Red Lodge, Montana, where they spent summers together as children.

Once in Red Lodge, Alicen tries to relax and hopes that she can see life differently there. Then she starts to hear voices and sees mysterious figures. Are they real? Or are they a figment of her imagination?

When Through Deep Waters is different from anything else that I have ever read. As a whole, I enjoyed Dekker's writing style. I haven't read any of her previous books, but this book flew along fairly quickly for me.I read most of the book in one day. There is a battle between good and evil, sanity and insanity, which keeps you reading along. I am not sure I can say that I found the book to be quite believable, although I know that it is fiction. However, I did find it raised some interesting questions in my mind. I appreciate that When Through Deep Waters raises issues of mental health in our society and I hope that it helps people talk about those issues in book groups or with reading friends. There is a list of ten discussion questions at the back of the book that would be great for a book group. I think this is an issue that still isn't discussed much in our society and concerns me when I read that suicide rates have been climbing.

I received When Through Deep Waters by Rachelle Dekker from Tyndale House Publishing Company. I was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman