Brunch at the Bittersweet Cafe by Carla Leareano


Melody Jahansson is a baker and pastry chef struggling to get out of a rut she feels she is stuck in. Then one night a handsome pilot named Justin Keller knocks on the door of her workplace in the middle of a snowstorm. Other changes are also coming in her life that might mean the start of her own restaurant with her good friend Rachel. Melody wonders if her life is really starting to change.

Justin has some issues in his life that make it challenging for him to feel he can get into a new relationship. His job is demanding and he has pledged his savings to starting a new business clear across the country.

Despite the challenges, Melody and Justin decide to give the relationship a try.  And in the end they have to decide which things are most important in their lives. They also see God working and learn some new things.

Brunch at the Bittersweet Cafe was a good read as a whole. I think Carla Laureano creates characters that seem real and are interesting. And then there is the food. Oh my! Reading about a pasty chef has upped my French pastry cravings for sure! I clicked more with the first book in the series even though I enjoyed this one. This one also had more drinking in it, which bothers me but may not bother others. The author also eludes to previous sexual experience in a character, although she also indicates that there has been a spiritual change. That may speak to certain readers even more who are looking for real characters who need redemption. The back of Brunch at the Bittersweet Cafe includes the first chapter of the next book which definitely left me hungry for more. I can't wait for the third in the series to hear Ana's story, but I will have to--because it releases in Spring 2020.

I received this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman