The Secrets of Paper and Ink by Lindsay Harrel



The Secrets of Paper and Ink by Lindsay Harrel is my first novel by this author--but I am looking forward to more of her books. This book is a beautiful weaving of the past and present as we read the story of three women's lives.

Sophia Barrett is a trained counselor who realizes she needs to face her own pain and past before she can continue to help other women.

Ginny Rose is a bookstore owner in England facing her own tough relationship challenges who also needs to help save her dying bookstore and rents a room to Sophia for the summer.

Sophia goes to England and lives above the bookstore hoping to spend time writing out her story to find healing during a break from her job. As she helps Ginny sort through books one day, she discovers a notebook with journal entries from Emily Fairfax, which sets the ladies on a search to solve a mystery.

I enjoyed reading The Secrets of Paper and Ink so much. Sophia's history does contain some abuse and honestly that abuse was similar to what I went through in a relationship. It has been long enough ago for me that it didn't create any ptsd triggers but it may for some women. However, in spite of that possibility, I think this book would be healing for many women.--to feel like there is someone out there who understands what it is like. I think her portrayal of Sophia's thought life and stresses was spot on. In the end, it is nice to see Sophia get the healing she needed. I like that Harrel also has a page in back on how to get help if you are someone in an abusive situation.  The Secrets of Paper and Ink is more of a contemporary chick lit novel than romance but there is some romance within the story. There is also a mystery to solve which adds a fun element. I especially like the friendship that forms between Sophia and Ginny. There are some good discussion questions at the end of the book. I read a good fiction book with a counselor when I was healing from my own difficult situation. This book could be especially useful in that situation. At the same time, it is just a good read for any woman looking for one.

I received this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your review. I love Lindsay's books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I want to read her other books too now!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman