Confessions of a Christian Mystic by River Jordan

What is a Christian Mystic? If you don't know, it is okay. I wasn't sure either until I read Confessions of A Christian Mystic by River Jordan. However, as someone who has enjoyed her previous books, I was intrigued enough to read this one and find out. . .and she does define it within the pages.

Confessions of a Christian Mystic is a collection of fifty essays, stories and personal letters in which Jordan shares her search for God and spiritual things in her every day life. River's writing encourages me to want to look for God in the every day of my life. Where is God in my story? How is He showing up? Am I looking for Him?

River is a storyteller queen. She draws me into her stories and I feel like I am there with her. In the Pocketbook Saints chapter, I cried for little girl Jordan when she was manhandled by the teacher in her day care and I rejoiced with her when Alice stayed and sat with her after the incident. I read Confessions of a Christian Mystic fairly quickly for the purpose of this review. This is a book that I could see me re-reading at least part of as Jordan offers a lot to think about. Some of her stories now linger in my mind, staying with me and prodding me to think about my own faith and relationships. This is one of the reasons, Jordan remains a favorite author for me. Confessions of a Christian Mystic tells Jordan's story but it also invites me to think and reflect and go about my life a little better or a little differently. I believe that is high praise for any author. Confessions of a Christian Mystic isn't your typical Christian book with pat answers and trite sayings. I encourage you to give it a try if you want to have your faith stirred up and challenged into something a little bigger and stronger.

I received this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. #sponsoredbyfaithwords

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman