More Than Words Can Say by Karen Witemeyer

From the back cover of More Than Words Can Say by Karen Witemeyer:

After fulfilling a pledge to a dying friend, Zacharias Hamilton is finally free to live life on his own terms. No opportunities to disappoint those he cares about, just the quiet bachelor existence he's always craved. Until fate snatches his freedom away once again when the baker of his favorite breakfast treat is railroaded by the city council. As hard as he tries to avoid getting involved, he can't turn a blind eye to her predicament . . . or her adorable dimples.

Abigail Kemp needs a man's name on her bakery's deed. A marriage of convenience seems the best solution . . . if it involves a man she can control. Not the stoic lumberman who oozes confidence without saying a word whenever he enters her shop. Control Zacharias Hamilton? She can't even control her pulse when she's around him.

Once vows are spoken, Abigail's troubles should be over. Yet threats to the bakery worsen, and darker dangers hound her sister. As trust grows between Zach and Abby, she finds she wants more than his rescue. She wants his heart.

I am honestly not sure I have all the words I need to say about this wonderful book. I truly enjoyed this whole book. Witemeyer kept my interest all the way through and she kept me wanting more. She created characters that I wanted to know better. Characters that I rooted for and characters that I pitied and saw the need to pray for.  The hard part of these great series books is that I have to wait for the next book to come out to continue reading. I truly wish I could go on after reading this one. I so appreciate how easily it appears that Witemeyer weaves faith into these stories. They aren't preachy--instead they showcase characters who behave like real people and have real faults and struggles. Yet, with God they overcome. Oh, not everything works out perfectly. That isn't how real life is and that isn't how this book went either. But the important thing is that Zach and Abby looked to God to help them through the challenges. I also like how easily Witemeyer seems to weave some humor in to the story. She made me giggle a few times. . .and I shed a few tears for these characters that I came to know and love. I just plain had all the feels. I think if you give More Than Words Can Say, or her first book in the series, More Than Meets the Eye, a try, you will too.

A Few Favorite quotes:
Zach tried to ignore the taste of hypocrisy on his tongue. It was a miracle he hadn't smacked her to the ground, swing that protruding log from his eye while he lectured her on how to clean the speck from her. (page 149)

 If she'd learned anything from her escalating troubles with Sophia, it was that dwelling on past pain and injustice poisoned one's soul. That was not a path she wanted to walk. (Page 305)

"Do you know why we deliver leftover read to the widows, Abby?"
"Because the Bible says to care for those who are in need?"
"Yes. But there's another reason, one that benefits us."
"We don't have to try to sell day-old bread?"
"Her mother chuckled, "No you little goose. It reminds us that no matter how hard things get or how many disappointments we face, there is always someone who is facing an even more difficult path. Therefore we should count our blessings and remember that the best way to take our minds off our own troubles is to help someone else with theirs."

I received this book as gift from the publisher and the author. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for the books.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman