The Next Right Thing by Emily P. Freeman


Let's face it. Some days adulting is hard. On those days, it can be difficult to make a decision about what to have supper, let alone what step to take next to work towards find a new job or something big like that. The Next Right Thing by Emily P. Freeman offers solid advice as you work towards making good decisions in your life.

The Next Right Thing contains 24 chapters FULL of advice and stories as you consider how you make decisions. Each chapter focuses on one aspect of a decision making process and ends with a prayer and a practice. The practice section gives you something practical to do to help you learn, grow and/or make changes and decisions. This is a book that I marked up and took notes in my journal. To get the most out of the book, you may want to use a notebook or journal to answer questions she poses along the way and to work on the practice exercises. Also, to get the most out of this book, I think for most people it is a book to read in bite-sized pieces rather than all at once.


I know there have been times in my life when I wished God would just audibly tell me the next best step to take. Since that has never happened for me, it has helped to have some guidance on making decisions when we feel indecisive and especially at times when I am tired and worn out for some reason. I think that is what makes this book so helpful--Freeman shares advice on how to take the next step on your path when you need direction. In reading The Next Right Thing, I felt like Freeman was offering me solid pieces of advice, whispering in my ear and guiding me as I look to make big and small decisions in my life. I also truly appreciated the heartfelt stories that Freeman shared throughout this book from her life. From my point of view, she comes across as caring and sort of conversational. On page 194, she shares how a friend told her that she appreciated her friendship and felt pastored. I have to say I felt somewhat pastored after reading this book. The few times I have talked to pastors and asked for advice they have been helpful and caring. She did share in this book that some of the material was generated through her podcast, but I have never listened to her podcast. In The Next Right Thing, I felt like Freeman was encouraging and supporting me through her stories, advice and Scripture. For me, this book is a timeless classic and a keeper. I think I will refer to this book many times in the future and one that I will recommend. It is also one to keep on hand for a truly helpful graduation or life change gift.

I received this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman