Back Roads to Belonging by Kristen Strong

These past few years, my husband and I have done a lot of moving. I understand how it feels not to belong somewhere. More importantly, Kristen Strong in her book, Back Roads to Belonging, shows us she understands how it feels not to belong somewhere--and ways to feel more like you do belong.

Back Roads to Belonging starts with the author's introduction. I especially like in the introduction where Strong points out that she doesn't expect that reading her book will leave you never feeling you you are struggling to belong again. Instead she says, "Rather, I believe this book will be a song for your heart and soul, a regular tune to come back to whose melody points you toward your Father in heaven who gives good gifts, including a sense of belonging."

Throughout the three sections of Back Roads to Belonging, Strong shares her story of trying to feel like she belonged in various places as she moved around with her military husband. I so appreciate how she shares from her heart both the struggles she faced, the ways she persevered through those struggles and the times when she was victorious in various ways. She truly shares like someone who understands and has been there in a way that leaves you feeling like you are sitting across from her on your back porch just sharing conversation. I actually think Back Roads to Belonging did give me a small sense of belonging and connection with this author who understands and left me feeling like I am not along in these struggles. I especially like how she continues to point the reader to God and Jesus of the Bible. In each chapter she also shares stories from the Bible about people who also faced struggles and how they handled them and can inspire us to handle our struggles today. Each chapter ends with a short "Belong Blessing" paragraph that leaves the reader feeling a bit more uplifted too. At the end of the book, Strong includes a section listing other helpful resources and a section full of Scriptures that Affirm You Belong. I highly recommend Back Roads to Belonging if you are struggling with feeling like you don't belong, no matter why or where you are.

I received this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman