The Girl Behind the Red Rope by Ted Dekker and Rachelle Dekker


The Girl Behind the Red Rope by Ted Dekker and Rachelle Dekker kept me turning pages for less than two days. If I didn't need the sleep, I would have liked to have read  this 330-page book straight through!

Grace, her brother Jamie, and her mother all live in a tight-knit religious community hidden in the hills of Tennessee. Ten years ago, Grace and her family saw a terrible scourge unleashed on the world. However, as members of the select few that were set apart, they were kept safe and secure from the rest of the world--as long as they stay behind the red rope. They all did for many years--until Grace's brother begins to have his doubts doubts about things. Around the same time, Grace's dad shows up along with a young boy whom he claims is also Grace's brother--and he asks her to keep him safe. All of this leads Grace to question her whole life and wonder who the real enemy is?

The Girl Behind the Red Rope was a fast paced page turner for me. I found the struggle between fear and faith throughout this book to be fascinating. I just couldn't take my eyes off of the struggle.  I don't know what it is like to be in a cult, but I do understand what it is like to struggle with fear. I could see how people could be controlled and bound by their fears through a cult leader--and how the cult leader could also be bound by evil. I just felt like I was living in this story right alongside Grace. The Girl Behind the Red Rope is beautifully written with a lot of depth, just as the cover is a beautiful illustration with depth to the picture. I think I will be pondering this book for some time. There were a couple of little things I didn't quite understand at the end that I am thinking about, but I don't want to give away any spoilers, and I like that they make me think about the story. If you are a Dekker fan, I am sure you will give this book a try. However, even if you are not a regular Dekker reader, I would recommend The Girl Behind the Red Rope if you like Christian suspense novels.

I received a copy of this book courtesy of Baker Publishing through Interviews & Reviews. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman