Book Review: Lean On Me by Anne Marie Miller



Lean On Me by Anne Marie Miller is one of the best books I have read recently. Lean On Me is not a self-help book, but rather a memoir in which the author shares her need for community following a crisis and how that community looked for her. She shares her story in the hopes that you will take away something for yourself to be in your own community.

I appreciate that Anne Marie Miller shares her story so openly. While I can't say that I agree with every choice that she made along the way, I do appreciate her honesty and her openness in sharing her story in this book.(And I know I have struggles and make choices that others wouldn't make.) It helps to see how a real person has done "community" with successes and struggles. I am in the middle of transition as my family is in the hallway of our 2nd move in 3 years. We aren't in our new location yet, but we are no longer living in our former location either. We are halfway between living in temporary housing. I would love to be able to have 15 people, as this author did, that would help my family to stay on the right path through this transition, but honestly I don't know 15 people to e-mail that would form a team to help guide us. I picked up the book to gain some insight on forming community as we get to our new location. I did learn from the author and I think that I took away what I needed to for our situation to start to build that kind of community.

If you are looking for a how-to book, this isn't the book for you. However, the author does list some how-to books in the back of Lean On Me. There is also a Reader's Guide with questions and prayers to either ask yourself or to share in a book group. Lean On Me offers food for thought on how you can build your own community and  I would recommend it to anyone else looking to do so.

I received this book from the publisher at no cost. I was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snow Country by Kristin Neva

13 Things Mentally Strong Parents Don't do by Amy Morin

Street Smarts From Proverbs by Mitch Kruse with D. J. Williams