Death at Thorburn Hall by Julianna Deering



If you like British mysteries on PBS like Father Brown or reading mysteries by Agathie Christie or Dorothy Sayers, I imagine you will like the Drew Fathering series by Julianna Deering. Death At Thorburn Hall is the sixth book in the series.

In Death at Thorburn Hall, Drew Fathering is in Scotland for the 1935 British Open at Muirfield. He is looking for rest and holiday with his wife, but instead finds himself caught up in a mystery. When their host, Lord Rainsby, is killed in a suspicious riding accident, Drew digs to find out who had motives to kill Lord Rainsby. As with many mysteries, there were several guests with motives for killing him. Drew must sort through them all to figure out "whodunit." Of course, the killer, keeps one step ahead throughout much of the book to keep the reader guessing.


I grew up reading Nancy Drew mysteries and enjoyed reading various other mysteries. I also grew up in a golfing family so with this book set at the British Open, I thought it might be up my alley. I tried to like this one but I just found it a little boring and difficult to get into, so I struggled to complete it. I don't usually pick up books in the middle of a series so I probably won't do that again. I understood that each of these books could stand on their own, but I think I would have rather started with book one. I see Deering is well liked and her books are well rated so I would try this series again another time. If you are a regular reader of this series, I am sure you will find Death at Thorburn Hall an enjoyable read. If you are new to it, I would encourage you to start at the beginning with book one, Rules of Murder.

I received this book from the publisher, Bethany House. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman