A Distance Too Grand by Regina Scott


Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be one of the first Americans to see the Grand Canyon? The Grand Canyon is on my bucket list so I haven't been there yet but I long to go. A Distance Too Grand by Regina Scott gave me a glimpse in to what it must have been like to see those majestic views so long ago.

Meg Pero has been assisting her photographer father since she was old enough to carry his equipment. When he passes away before he can fulfill a contract he signed with the Army to survey the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in 1871, Meg seeks to carry out the contract--even though women didn't usually do such things alone at that time. Captain Ben Coleridge reluctantly agrees to take her along as it is too late to hire another replacement. When he was at West Point a few years ago, Meg broke his heart when she was staying there with her father. Can the two work together? Could more come from their mission than just photos of majestic views?

A Distance Too Grand is my first book by this author and I was pleasantly surprised. I found the plot compelling and the characters interesting. I liked both Meg and Ben as well as several of the other characters. The bad guy character I didn't like too well--and that is good! There were a few places that I enjoyed the humorous banter between the various characters. A Couple of other places she did bring tears to my eyes with the unfolding plot. I especially enjoyed reading about this area as I haven't read a book set in the Grand Canyon area before and found it refreshing. All in all, I would highly recommend this one. Also, I liked the sneak peek at the second book in The American Wonders Collection at the back of this one. I am looking forward to it and reading more works by this author.

I received this book from the publisher. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman