Confessions of a Happily Married Man by Joshua Rogers

It is a rare treat to read a marriage book that captivates me as much as Confessions of a Happily Married Man by Joshua L. Rogers. I read much of this book in one day.

In Confessions of a Happily Married Man, Rogers shares much of the story of his marriage coming from his heart. After the introduction, written by Greg Smalley from Focus on the Family, Rogers shares how he met his wife, Raquel, fell in love and were married within 9 months. Throughout the book, Rogers shares story after story of how God worked in their relationship to grow them both up to be more like Jesus to each other. Interestingly enough, with God, they had started working on each other shortly after Rogers proposed and his future wife accepted the proposal. Rogers candidly shares about how the couple worked out their issues around mundane things such as chores to how they worked out much bigger challenges such as in-law challenges, health issues, having children and a cross-country move. At the end of this book, Joshua invited his wife, Raquel, to share her heart from their journey, which I thought was both good and helpful.

Confessions of a Happily Married Man is really one story after another that is part of Joshua and Raquel's story of their marriage thus far. To me, this book read like a novel. I truly struggled to put it down. But it wasn't just that I wanted to know how this couple was dealing with things. I also wanted to learn more through their stories to make my own marriage better. The thing that struck me most was how they looked to God through all of their marriage issues, both the challenges and the things they were grateful for. I could also relate to much of what he was sharing. Some of our challenges through the years have been similar in certain ways. This is a marriage book that I think would be helpful to both young people getting married and people like my husband and I who have been married several years. Many times if we have a teachable heart, we can learn from each other through our stories. At the back of Confessions of a Happily Married Man, there are two appendixes. The first one has a lot of discussion questions to discuss as a couple. The other one shares advice on doing an integrity interview if you want to learn more about how others see you. This couple each did the integrity interviews and shared how it helped them grow. I am not sure I am that brave but it is an interesting idea and I could see how it would be beneficial to a person, and ultimately, as a couple.

I received this book from the publisher. All opinions are my own. #sponsoredbyfaithwords

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman