The Edge of Everywhen by A. S. Mackey

The Edge of Everywhen by A. S. Mackey is billed as a middle-grade book but I think this is a book for the whole family to read and enjoy.

Thirteen-year-old Piper and her autistic brother, Phoenix, are sent to live with Aunt Beryl after their mother passes away in a car accident. Their father is also missing while working construction overseas. Together Piper and Phoenix find a mysterious book calling to them from Aunt Beryl's library. Novus Fabula is a story that will speak to each of them and change their lives forever.

I truly enjoyed The Edge of Everywhen I found Piper and Phoenix to be a very likable main characters. I especially resonated with Piper's love of books and I liked that so many bookish quotes and references were made in this book. While I was rooting for the main characters throughout the book, I also liked Beryl by the end of the book. I also enjoyed Mr. Greene and Sofia. Within the fantasy realm, this story was captivating and uplifting. I liked the message that we all have our own special stories and that God speaks to each of us using different means. Even though we get a glimpse of the hard challenges the children's father faces in the book, I liked that the author made sure we know that God was watching over Gordon through it all. I liked how well the faith element was woven in to this book and I liked the encouraging words. I also liked that one of the main characters was autistic as my son has autism. While I don't want to give away any spoilers, I liked that the book showed that positive changes and good things came after the hard things. It moved me to tears in a couple of places. I could see this speaking to many families. It would be a book that my family would enjoy reading out loud together. I would encourage you to give The Edge of Everywhen a try and I hope the author has more books coming.


I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe