At Love's Command by Karen Witemeyer


In her new book, At Love's Command, Karen Witemeyer tells the story of ex-calvary officer Matthew Hanger and his group of mercenaries known as Hanger's Horsemen in Texas. While trying to do good works together, one of them takes a bullet and needs a doctor. Dr. Josephine Burkett earns the respect of the men as she performs surgery and removes a bullet. Not long after, her brother is abducted and she calls on the Horseman to help her. Matthew and the other men come to her assistance although things don't look quite right from their angle. What is going on?

I have read several of Witemeyer's books before reading At Love's Command. I enjoy her style and I like that she adds bits of humor within the story. Looking at this picture of Matthew on the cover makes it easy to picture how a lady of the 1890s could be attracted to him. He also has a nice smile on the little picture posted on the spine of the book. I especially liked that the Hanger's Horsemen were doing good and were asking God about their plans throughout the book. I also like that they looked to the Bible for their wisdom. The romance was there but not real prominent throughout the book. I most enjoyed the beginning where Dr. Jo was working with the men in her office. There were some cute scenes there. At the same time, At Love's Command read more like a western movie than the other historical novels that I have read by Witemeyer. Each book in this new series will tell about the four men in the group of Hanger's Horseman and I think that will be interesting so I am looking forward to the next installment. According to Witemeyer, the next book will feature two of the men in the group. I would say that the ending of At Love's Command was predictable but in our unstable times right now, I was okay with that.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe