Called to be Creative: A Guide to Reigniting Your Creativity by Mary Potter Kenyon

 

I have often heard people say that they don't have a creative bone in their body. I heartily disagree with that statement. I believe we all use creativity in more ways than we realize. Mary Potter Kenyon's new book, Called to Be Creative inspires all sorts of creativity and reminds the reader that they are indeed creative in many ways.

For me, reading Called to Be Creative was like sitting down with the author at the coffee shop and chatting about writing, artwork and all the things that we mutually enjoy that take a bit of creativity. I enjoyed her conversational tone. I also liked that each of the twelve chapters concludes with an inspiring real-life story from another creative person and an assignment to do something creative--for example, writing in a journal or making a vision board. For the purposes of this review, I read straight through the book and made some mental notes regarding the assignments. However, I plan to go back through and do the assignments and I am really looking forward to that. Throughout this book, Kenyon shared quotes from other books that had inspired her in the creative process--many of those books were also books that I had enjoyed. All the way through the book, I just felt like she was a kindred spirit. At the same time, I am in awe of this woman who had eight children and yet found time to write and create. I didn't come from a big family or have a big family so that amazes and inspires me. Kenyon also dedicated this book to her mother who inspired her creativity even though she also had several children. In addition, I think Kenyon is inspiring to readers with the ways God worked in her life and in how she overcame some of her challenges. I think this book would be encouraging and inspiring to anyone looking to spend time writing, doing artwork, writing music, or creating in whatever way God has gifted them.

I received a copy of this book from the author. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe