Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar (10th Anniversary Edition)

 

Wow! I finished Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar and spent a couple of days thinking about it. What a beautiful story of God's redemption, mercy, and love. Afshar brought this Bible story to life for me and touched me heart and soul with it.

I did not read Pearl in the Sand the first time it was released 10 years ago. I understand this edition has new features but as a reviewer I can't compare. What I do know is that this story of Rahab and Salmone is both heart wrenching and, ultimately, heart warming. Rahab is a woman living in the walls of Jericho. She has also put up walls around her heart after years of being betrayed by those she loved and trusted, starting with her father. Yet, she is drawn to God and seeks to live for Him. Through her, Hebrew spies are kept safe. . .and ultimately her family is spared in return. Yet, she is a woman who has a past she is not proud of. Salmone is a Hebrew leader. He is also a man of faith and full of pride. How can the two form a relationship?

Pearl in the Sand was easy to read and understand. Afshar brings the Bible to life through the pages of her book. As a reader, I could better understand the customs and the activities of the day through her historical novel. At the same time, as a woman, I was touched by the story of Rahab and Salmone. I could understand Rahab's pain and her desire to know the one true God. I relished the story of Rahab and Salmone. Afshar wrote a beautiful love story within this book of unconditional love and redemption. . .of how God must love each one of us in spite of our past stories. 

I have to add that the cover and design of the 10th anniversary edition of Pearl in the Sand makes it one of the most beautiful books that I have seen. The cover is simply gorgeous and as another book reviewer said to me, it feels like silk. There is also the theme of the scarlet cord carried throughout the book both in the story and in the physical book as it is two-tone red and black. It is simply gorgeous and one to keep in your permanent collection. Pearl in the Sand would also make a gorgeous gift for someone who needs to hear this story of how valuable we all are to God.

I received a copy of this book from the author and the publisher. All opinions in this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman