Cleo Can Tie a Bow by Sybrina Durant

 

Cleo Can Tie a Bow: A Rabbit and Fox Story by Sybrina Durant is a children's book designed to help children learn how to tie a bow. 

Little Cleo loves bows. However, she doesn't know how to tie one. Through this story a fox teaches a rabbit how to tie a bow using the bunny's long ears to tie the bow. 

Cleo is definitely a girly girl with a room full of bows and butterflies. I think this is a cute concept. My son had trouble tying bows so I really liked the idea of a book to help him learn how to do that. However, I think it would have helped to hold his interest more if the book hadn't been so girl-oriented. It would probably be a good book for girls to use, but it didn't seem to include boys at all in the story. I also wasn't too thrilled with the idea of the fox tying the rabbit's ears. The author includes a page reminding children not to do those things to real animals but I just felt it sent mixed messages. It may be just me but it didn't sit well with me that it was a fox teaching the rabbit either because I live where foxes routinely catch and eat bunnies and that just didn't feel right to me with the way animals actually work. I thought the illustrations were cute though. I do think the bow tying part of Cleo Can Tie a Bow was clearly described and illustrated too, so it may work for other families.

I received an electronic copy of this book through JustRead PublicityTours for the purpose of this review. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe