Under the Bayou Moon by Valerie Fraser Luesse

 

In 1949, Ellie Fields is young, fresh out of college and ready for a new teaching experience. She leaves her home states of Alabama and journeys to a tiny Louisiana town in the Bayou. She is idealistic and hopeful and her "can do" spirit wins the hearts of the townspeople after she arrives. She especially wins the heart of one young man and there is some romance in the midst of the small town stories woven through Under the Bayou Moon.

Valerie Fraser Luesse won me over when I first read, The Key to Everything last year. I enjoy her descriptive writing and how well she weaves the story together. I fell in love with all of the townspeople and was rooting for them throughout the book as they made it through more than a few challenges between sickness, weather and corrupt politicians. I spent summers in Louisiana when I was very young while my father went to graduate school so I know a little tiny bit of what she is describing. However, she brought the area to life for me through this book and I felt that I could truly see the characters and the bayou area--as well as New Orleans. I will be looking forward to whatever book Luesse has coming next. If you haven't read The Key to Everything there is an excerpt at the back of this book to whet your appetite.

I received a copy of this book as part of the Revell Reads Blogger Program. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe