Second Time Around by Melody Carlson

 


If you are like me, I imagine you are a fan of second chances. Second Time Around by Melody Carlson features that theme in a variety of ways. I enjoyed this contemporary romance featuring middle-aged women and men as the main characters.Mallory Farrell felt a bit old and passed by after her daughter's wedding and her boyfriend walking away from her right before that occasion. However, after the wedding, she learned she had inherited her grandmother's run-down tourist shop in Portside, Oregon. When she heads to Portside to learn more about her inheritance, she renews her acquaintance with Grayson Matthews, the lifeguard she had a crush on many years ago. Things start out rocky as Grayson is a contractor who wants to buy the shop. Mallory doesn't want to sell, so there is a bit of conflict. Instead, she sees a whole new way of life for herself in Portside. Can she turn the shop into a new business and start over, featuring her interior design degree in a different way? Will Grayson stand in her way, or will she find a way to forge a new relationship with him?I enjoyed Second Time Around. It is a bit of a slow-burn and character-driven novel. At the same time, I felt the book flowed right along, and I read it quickly within a couple of days. I liked Mallory and was pulling for her through all of her challenges. She is a strong character, and I liked how she didn't back down but kindly stuck to her boundaries several times when she needed to. I got a little frustrated with the communication with Grayson and Mallory, but that did clear up. I also liked how Mallory turned to God in her challenges. Overall, I enjoyed the plot, the romance, and the faith that Mallory turned to.I received a copy of this book from Revell Publishing through Interviews and Reviews. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe