The Words We Lost by Nicole Deese

 


 

What happens when you are an editor but you've lost your ability to comprehend what you read? Ingrid Erikson is a senior acquisitions editor for a publishing company who has been limping along in her job, struggling to read, after her best friend passes away.  The Words We Lost by Nicole Deese is the story of a grief that is all encompassing until Ingrid returns to the source and is forced to reflect and grow.

The Words We Lost kept me turning pages quickly. I have loved everything I have ever read by Nicole Deese. At the same time, this was not a light read. I'll be honest, initially the heavier story was a bit of a challenge for me--and yet the story kept calling to me. The light kept pouring in though the longer I turned the pages. I liked the characters and found myself pulling for both Ingrid and Joel. The back and forth in time to Cece's writing was easy for me to follow. I am so glad that I read this book.

My heart was touched by The Words We Lost and the difficulty that grief is. If you have ever lost a loved one, I imagine you can relate. I know, having worked as an editor, I can only imagine how difficult it would be to do your job if you were struggling to read. I also have been in the position of struggling to read as I was going through some challenges. Even though the subject matter was difficult at times, I still felt this was a well-written book that I am glad that I read. I thought Deese handled everything well.

The Words We Lost is the start to the Fog Harbor series. It will be interesting to see where the author goes from here.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe