Lucky Girl by Scout Bassett

 Lucky Girl

Are you a sports fan? I'll be honest, I'm not a huge sports fan although I occasionally watch some. However, I really enjoyed Lucky Girl by Scout Bassett. Some people, like Scout, like to watch sports all the time--when they aren't participating in them.

When you look at the cover of Lucky Girl, you probably noticed that Scout Bassett's legs don't look alike. Scout's story begins in China where she survived a fire that took her right leg. She also spent many years in an orphanage before being adopted and coming to America. While that may sound like a dream come true, it also is a dream that comes with a bag full of trauma and struggles as Scout felt different than other people, as a minority and a disabled person. In this book, she shares her story from her beginning until now. She also shares how she learned to accept herself as she is and many of the things she has overcome throughout her life. 

I found Lucky Girl to be an inspirational book. I enjoy memoir-style books as I always feel I can learn something from someone else's life. I liked how Scout shares about her past and her challenges, but then shares how she learned to overcome them. She put in some work to change her mindset and to work hard to be a para-athlete. I think we all have challenges to overcome and this book could inspire all of us in some way. I personally am struggling with some challenges that I felt just a little more empowered to fight after reading this book. Her writing is easy to read and to understand. Her story just seemed to flow off the page for me and I read it quickly. I would recommend Lucky Girl to anyone who enjoys memoirs that inspire one to make changes in their own lives.

I should add that there are a couple of swear words in this book.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe