The Irish Matchmaker by Jennifer Diebel

The Irish Matchmaker by Jennifer Deibel is the fourth Irish tale from this author that I have read--all have been stand-alones. At the back of this book, Diebel shares how she got this idea and the history behind matchmaking in Ireland. Be sure to read that as I think it will enrich your love for the story.

The Irish Matchmaker starts out a well-known matchmaker and his daughter talking about the local matchmaking prospects at the local matchmaking festival held each spring. Along with her father, Catriona also makes matches for others--and this year she is hoping for one of her own that will get her away from this sleepy village and into a more exciting life. 

At the same time, cattle farmer Donal Bunratty is considering going to the matchmaking festival. His wife died several years ago and he is struggling to make ends meet on a farm with his young daughter. Her birthday wish is a new mother. Will he go to the festival and try to make that wish come true?

I'll be honest, at first I wasn't too sure I was going to like The Irish Matchmaker. There was a man in the story that was clearly a no-good player. I didn't like that part, especially early in the book, as Catriona seemed interested in that man and I couldn't understand the attraction. . .but as time went on, I saw changes in Catriona. Catriona met Donal and his daughter and there were some sparks. Donal also had some changes to make in his life. The story then opened up in ways that I really enjoyed it. I especially liked the paint scene and the dance scenes in the book. I really felt Diebel wrote this book so well that I could clearly visualize these scenes. The Irish Matchmaker could make a lovely Irish Hallmark movie.

I received a copy of this book from Revell Publishing. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe