Never Fall Again by Lynn H. Blackburn

Never Fall Again by Lynn H. Blackburn is the first book in her new Gossamer Falls series.

Landry Hutton has spent three years rebuilding her life with her young daughter in Gossamer Falls after her abusive husband passed away. She is known for beautiful pottery and has made a good life for herself and her daughter, Eliza. Landry's good friend Bronwyn gave her a job and helped her move to the area to start over.

Callum Shaw is a former marine who moved back home to Gossamer Falls and is a respected home builder in the area. Landry hires Callum to build a home for her and Eliza on some land that Bronwyn sold Landry. Not long afterwords, Landry's pottery is destroyed in a suspicious fire. A handwritten note indicates that Landry and Eliza seem to be in danger--but from whom? And why?

I enjoyed Never Fall Again. However, at first I did have a little trouble keeping all of the characters straight. This book features a lot of family members from two different families that were feuding at one time in the Gossamer Falls area. At the same time, I can see how this will make for an interesting series with all of these wonderful characters. It does help that there is a family tree for the Quinn family, which is Callum's family, in the front of the book. 

I enjoyed watching Callum and Landry's relationship unfolding. I liked how they communicated, even though they had some struggles. They also didn't shy away from sharing past hurts so both people knew each other's background. I also liked some of the other family relationships in the book. It is neat to me that there is a special needs adult in the family and that there are wonderful characters of all ages. It will be interesting to see the next book in the series and who Blackburn features in that one. 

The suspense was there, along with the relationship issues, and I had my suspicions of who the bad guy was but the reader doesn't really know what is going on until the end. Throughout most of Never Fall Again, I was left guessing at what was going on and it did keep me turning pages. 

I liked the relationships the main characters had with God and how they grew in their faith. There is some talk of abuse, specifically Christian abuse one character experienced in the past, in this book so that may be a trigger for some people. As someone who has been in an abusive relationship, I thought she handled that all quite well. I also thought it was good that it was included since there are real people experiencing those challenges.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Interviews and Reviews. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe