Six Lessons From the Peace Man


Six Lessons From the Peace Man

My husband recently found this little figure and brought it home to me. Every time I look at it, I can't help but smile. The longer I've smiled at him, the more things the Peace Man has taught me:
1. The man with his eyes rolled upwards reminds me that to have Peace in my life I must first look to the Peacemaker. He is watching over me and also standing alongside me, as the man is standing, in all the circumstances as I walk through in life. Even when I feel alone, I am not alone. He is with me.
2. The man is smiling. This makes me smile whenever I look it him. He reminds me that if I smile at folks, most folks will smile back.

3. His message of Peace is one that I see people searching for the world over. We will never have peace at all times in all places on earth. For me, it often comes from trusting God at times that are anything but peaceful in this world or even in my little corner of this world. It is having faith in God.

4. I am also reminded of Isaiah 2:3 (NIV), "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you." Fear is my biggest challenge to living the Christian life. When my thoughts are running wild with the "what if's" of this earthly life, if I can just re-focus and keep my mind on God, then I know the fear will ease.
5. Another thought that comes to mind when I see the Peace Man is that we are all uniquely created individuals. I see this guy with his flamboyant floral patterned shirt, wildly patterned pants and sandals as a loveable character despite the fact that I would not come up with that fashion ensemble. We are all uniquely created in God's image and He loves me just the way I am.
6. Perfection does not equal peace, love and harmony in life simply because no one is perfect. When I see the Peace man I can tell he is likeable but not perfect. His hair is messed up, his clothes don't match, and his tummy sticks out a bit. One of my favorite quotes says that we shouldn't judge someone until we've walked a mile in their shoes. I may not make the same choices I see others make but then I haven't lived their life either. My challenges are not the same as everyone else's. Even when I am tempted to think someone else has a perfect life, chances are pretty good that they have been through things that don't show on the outside. There have been times in my life, when I've totally been a perfectionist and it was stressful! The older I get, the more I am reminded to just do the best I can and leave the rest to God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman