Book Review: Desperate by Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson





Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe by Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson is a book that I wish I had when I started out as a mom. I appreciate these ladies sharing from their heart about some of the challenges that they faced as well as the joys of mothering. In one chapter of the book, the ladies share some advice on which "voices" to listen to as you are learning to parent. . .Their voices are ones to listen to, speaking words of encouragement to this mom.

Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson have been to the edge and back. Desperate is the story of one young mother’s trials and one experienced mentor’s priceless exhortations. I like how this book offers each mother's view and experience without telling you how it MUST be done. . .I know I have had a lot of advice from other moms that meant well but left me feeling like I just couldn't do it "right.". These moms share from their hearts their thoughts on parenting, keeping house, listening to those other mom voices with a God perspective and friendships among other topics. It feels like you are sitting down with friends to coffee or tea. At the end of each chapter, there are Bible verses to relate to the topic, questions to ask yourself and "Something to do." Much of the something to do involves some time with a journal--which I like and find useful in solidifying my thoughts. I also find the journal notes helpful to refer to if I want to job my memory later so I liked that part of this book.

One unique feature of this book, that I have not found in a book before is the video link on-line or through your smart phone allowing the reader to sort of interact with the authors. This feature brought these ladies to life to me and, again, gave me more of a feel of "talking with a friend." as I read through the book. I am the mom of a boy who just turned 11 but I still found a lot of good help in this book. . .yet when my son was a baby, I could have used this book even more. I recommend to moms both old and new.

I received this book from Thomas Nelson through their Booksneeze program. I was not required to write a positive review.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman