Awaken by Priscilla Shirer



I especially love the title of this book, Awaken, by Priscilla Shirer. Every morning this week, I get up and read this devotional spending time with God as I "awaken." Shirer says on the cover she hopes that you will spend time each day with "the One who wants to Awaken you each day to the sound of His voice."

These 90 devotionals are bound in a quality hardcover book with a ribbon marker. Each devotion in Awaken starts with a Bible verse, then a reading, and ends with a Bible verse. Following each devotional are two lined pages entitled He Speaks to Me. At the top of the first lined journaling page, Shirer asks questions or gives the reader something to think about and reflect on through journaling. I especially liked that in the introduction Shirer says that she is praying for her readers. She writes that "Whether young or old, may you be encouraged and realigned toward the simple beauty of sitting with Him, hearing Him, speaking to Him and being enlightened by His love letter to you." Each of the readings in Awaken relate to every day Christian life. These are just a few of the topics: business, forgiveness, quiet time distractions, life's storms, praying for your Pastor and church leaders, and living in the present instead of worrying about the future.

Awaken is a devotional that I looked forward to each morning. I felt each reading did turn my thoughts toward God and the journaling section helped me reflect on the related topics. One thing I especially appreciate about the journaling section is that the book has two pages of space to write and reflect. Sometimes, publishers don't leave enough room for me to write everything I want to in a journaling devotional so it is nice to see all of this space in this book. For those who do art journaling, this blank space could also be used artistically to reflect your heart and time with God. I think this book would be helpful to anyone in most any adult age group. It would also make a nice gift book.



I received a copy of Awaken from BH Publishing Group. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman