The 49th Mystic by Ted Dekker


The 49th Mystic is my first Ted Dekker book. I have been wanting to read one for some time. I am so glad I did.

The 49th Mystic starts out in the small town of Eden, Utah where a blind girl named Rachelle and her father, David, live. Rachelle has nightmares regularly about the "shadow man." They scare her a lot but they aren't half as scary as finding out that they aren't just dreams and the Shadow Man is alive and in Eden looking for her. At the same time,  Rachelle does dream her way in to another world. She sort of time travels back in to the ancient world and fights to recover five ancient seals. This book is the start of a two book series where she battles for her life and the lives of others in both worlds.

I found The 49th Mystic to be fast-paced and it held my interest until the end in spite of the fact that I don't usually read this type of book. I am looking forward to the second book and seeing how this all works out in the end. I like how the book refers to the ancient Scriptures. I also enjoyed the time travel element of the book. There is some violence in both worlds and while I didn't love to read those parts, I could see why they were necessary. Life in Bible times could be rather violent. It was easy to keep both worlds and all of the characters straight for me. I give it five stars for how easy the story flowed and how easy it was to keep it all straight as a reader while learning and being entertained. I thought The 49th Mystic had it all. There is a bit of romance, adventure, dystopian fantasy, and history woven throughout this book. It held me spellbound from beginning to end.

I received The 49th Mystic from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman