The Favorite Daughter by Patti Callahan Henry


Ten years ago it was Lena Donohue's wedding day. However, to say things didn't go as planned is an understatement. Today, Lena deals with the fall out of her sister and her fiance's betrayal that day. Or rather she tries not to think about the painful memories of the day. Since then, she has moved on with her life and became a successful travel writer in New York City. She stays far away from Watersend, South Carolina where her sister lives, currently married to her former fiance, until Lena's brother calls to let her know she is needed at home. Lena's dad's health is failing. One thing has never changed, Lena loves her dad and would do anything for him. Including going home and facing old memories and people she has avoided for years.

The Favorite Daughter is a complex layered story that touched me on several levels. I thought Lena's wrestling with forgiveness was realistic and I could understand why it wouldn't be easy for her to be with her family. As the book went on, I could also see how family secrets and disagreements could impact a family in ways that they did not truly realize or understand.

Someone close to me in my dad's family had dementia and I think family issues made that challenge harder. Even though the challenges between my family and Lena's were different I could empathize with these characters. I truly felt all the hard things right along with them. The Favorite Daughter all felt so realistic to me in how it all played out. There were also some twists and turns I didn't see coming. I thought it was good right up until the end--and I really didn't want to leave this family that I had come to know.

I would be sure to put The Favorite Daughter at the top of your summer reading list. It will give you all the feels and will give you pause to reflect on your own life and how memory and memories affect life and family. This book will stay with me awhile. I highly recommend it. Also, there is a reader's guide with questions for a book club in the back. The Favorite Daughter would be a great to discuss in a group.

(There is a small amount of cussing in this book and a couple of minor sex references but nothing detailed.)

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and author as a part of the Tall Poppy Bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman