Held by Abbey Wedgeworth





After a successful pregnancy with our son, my husband and I had a miscarriage. As you know if you have been through it, it was a hard time for us and a difficult thing to go through. I wondered where God was in all of that. I wish I had had a book like Held by Abbey Wedgeworth when I went through that time in my life. 

When I went through a miscarriage, I received some comments from well-meaning people that were just sort of fluffy and meaningless platitudes. Wedgeworth shares in the introduction that this book is based on contents that you can cling to, "something steady and unchanging:the character and word of God." She also recommends that readers go through this book at their own pace and read the readings as you are ready. Wedgeworth has included pieces of her story and the stories of other women who have faced similar situations along with the reflections on Scripture. Each chapter includes the personalized reading, Bible verses to read that relate, questions to ask yourself and some thoughts in response to the reading. There is also space to journal your thoughts as you go through the book. At the back of the book, she also includes a list of books that she recommends reading.

Held has 31 Biblical Reflections on the sorrow and God's comfort of miscarriage. I think this book would be a meaningful gift for anyone who has gone through a miscarriage or lost a baby. Wedgeworth clearly writes as someone who has been there and understands the sort of comforting words that are helpful. The readings are a good length to reflect on. I think I would rather write in another journal than use the space in this book but there is journaling space for those who would like to use it. There is also an elastic band on the book and a ribbon that could be used as a page marker.

I received a copy of this book from The Good Book Company. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe