Nine by Rachelle Dekker

 


Nine by Rachelle Dekker is one of the most suspenseful books that I have read in recent weeks. 

Zoe Johnson is working as a waitress when a wide-eyed innocent-looking teenage girl wanders in to the restaurant. Against her better judgement, Zoe helps Lucy, the lost-looking girl, and her whole life changes in many ways. Lucy seems to have no memories and together they run from people trying to get to Lucy. 

Nine was a fast-paced read full of intrigue and government secrets. The reader wonders just who Lucy is. I found the plot to be interesting and it definitely held my attention. At the same time, I was a little surprised by the violence in this book and some of it was disturbing for me to read. At the same time, it did seem to fit in with the plot and made sense as part of that plot. I wondered where we were going with the book throughout the first half. But in the second half, I could clearly see the redeeming qualities of the book. I liked the messages of love and redemption that came through.  I also found that I could like one character by the end that I most definitely didn't like in the beginning. All of the characters were a bit vague to me to start with and then I grew to like their story as I continued to read Nine. I found it to be thought-provoking as I believe Dekker intended it to be. This would be an especially interesting read for a book club who enjoys suspense type books to read and discuss. I also think the cover works well for Nine. It looks mysterious and like the girl is searching even though we can't see her face.

I received this book courtesy of Baker Publishing Group, Revell Division, through Interviews and Reviews. All opinions in this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe