A Dance In Donegal by Jennifer Deibel

 

A Dance In Donegal by Jennifer Deibel is a step back in time to Ireland in the 1920s.  It is hard to believe that this novel is the author's first. I enjoyed it from cover to cover.

Moira Doherty grew up in Boston listening to her mother regale her with stories from her native Ireland. When her mother dies unexpectedly in the summer of 1920, Moira fulfills her mother's dying wish and becomes the teacher in Ballymann, her mother's beloved home village. Moira works hard to fit in even though there are rumors that her dear mother wasn't who she thought she was. Can she overcome the rumors and fit in to this small community?

A Dance In Donegal is full of memorable characters, mystery and romance. I felt like the characters were fun to get to know and spend time with. Even some of the characters that I didn't like to start with, I liked by the end. Although there were a couple of characters that I didn't care for but still served the plot well. I especially liked how Moira's faith was a part of her every day life. Spiritually, this is one of the best novels that I have read in awhile. While I liked the romance, it wasn't a huge part of the book for me--although I loved the sweet ending. As a reader, I felt like I was journeying along with Moira as she grows up into her adult life in a new land with her faith in tact and facing all sorts of relationships on her own, including a romance. I highly recommend A Dance In Donegal. There is also a preview of the next novel in the back of the book, which I am looking forward to.

I received a copy of this book courtesy of the author and the publisher. All opinions in this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman