The Secret Keepers of Old Depot Grocery by Amanda Cox

 

Three generations of women have spent time in the Old Depot Grocery Store. It all started with Glory Ann and Clarence. Then their daughters Rosemary and Jessamine joined the crew and grew up in the family store. When Rosemary got married to Bo they had young Sarah and she also roamed the aisles as she grew up. All of them served the community as well as being in business. At the same time, they all hid secrets from each other. The Secret Keepers of Old Depot Grocery is set in several time frames in history as readers learn the stories behind each of these special women. 

I enjoyed reading The Secret Keepers of Old Depot Grocery. Cox is a wonderful story teller and I was caught up in each woman's story. It was interesting to see how they all made some of their choices. At the same time, it was sad to see family members not always treat loved ones the best. I am especially thinking of the way that Glory Ann actually came to be at the grocery store. However, I loved that she decided to make the best of her situation after a few years with Clarence. Clarence sounded like a great husband, dad and a wonderful community member and friend to so many. I especially liked the way he loved people. I also liked that while Sarah didn't necessarily go about things the best way, she still made choices that put an end to the secrets and opened up a whole new world. I must admit I kind of cringe when I read books where people hide secrets that change other people's lives. Yet, I have seen real life instances of it happening so I believe it is true to life. I value good communication and I like that The Secret Keepers of the Old Depot Grocery teaches that value throughout the story. 

I received a copy of this book from the author. All opinions in this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe