A Mindful Moment: 5-Minute Meditations and Devotions by Irene Kraegel

 

A Mindful Moment: 5-Minute Meditations and Devotions by Irene Kraegel is aimed at teenagers ages 13 and on up. It is a relatively lightweight, small book at about 7.75 inches by 5 1/2 inches and 190 pages long so it could easily fit into a backpack or nightstand to use regularly.

A Mindful Moment includes 150 5-Minute Readings. The book starts out with an introduction explaining why Christians should meditate, what it is, how to do it, and how to use this book. Following the introduction are the 150 meditational devotions. Each devotional starts with a Bible verse, then moves on to a short devotional reading, and concludes with a section called, Practice. Practice offers practical ways to put the verse and the reading into action some way in life. 

The book concludes withe a section on Mindfulness with information on various ways to meditate and pray using the book and keeping your mind on Christ. There is a also a section of questions and answers which I think is especially helpful. The author encourages the reader to be discerning as they seek out other mindfulness/meditation books that are labeled Christian, as she feels some distort the faith. 

I am an adult but I have been encouraged to meditate every  day by my doctor to relax. I think this book is even helpful for me as I want something short to think on and I do want it to be based on the Bible. The Bible tells us to meditate on it day and night. . .so meditation is not just a new age practice. Instead, if we focus on the Bible, it can guide our thoughts through the day. I really like how well this book answers questions and explains ways to use this information at various times of day and in different ways. I see this book as a supplement to regular Bible reading. I read the author's bio and I like that she is a Christian and a licensed clinical psychologist. She seems to have integrated her knowledge together well in A Mindful Moment. I would recommend it to anyone age thirteen on up.

 



I received a copy of this book from the publisher through the Amazon Vine Program. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe