The Lost Melody by Joanna Davidson Politano

 

I have heard so many good things about this author that I felt compelled to try Joanna Davidson Politano's new book, The Lost Melody.

The Lost Melody starts out with Vivienne Mourdant's father passing away and her talking about a life of more freedom as a result However, that was not to be. Unfortunately, she also finds out she is to care for a patient at Hurstwell Asylum that she had no idea about until her father passed and she is left to care for her. As she tries to figure out who the mystery woman is, she is unfortunately drawn in to the asylum herself. Now she is trying to figure out her own situation as well as who the mystery woman is.

With books, I think timing plays a part in how much the reader enjoys it. I have been looking for lighter reads lately and this wasn't a light read at all. The Lost Melody was much heavier than I expected in its storyline. I do have an interest in music as a piano player so I should add that the title also drew me in along with the gorgeous cover for this author. However, I really struggled through the book and with the characters because of the subject matter. I do think Politano is a lovely writer as I expected but I think I would enjoy another type of story by her better. I am just not a fan of historical fiction about asylums. I also don't like to read about people being abused or hurt in institutions. If you are a Politano fan, you likely already have this book on your radar and will enjoy it. And, if you are a fan of historical fiction based on deeper subjects, then The Lost Melody may indeed may be the book for you.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe