Orphaned Believers by Sara Billups

 

Orphaned Believers: How a Generation of Christian Exiles Can Find the Way Home by Sara Billups is a mix of modern history and memoir that I enjoyed reading.

Orphaned Believers is divided into three sections: The End Times, Culture Wars, and Consumerism. Billups tells some of her story throughout the book, sharing how her parents' evangelical faith and belief that the end times/rapture could happen any day affected her growing up years. She also talks about the culture throughout the past forty years as it relates to both the church and our society as well as the changes that have happened--and some changes that should have happened but haven't happened yet related to race and gender equality. I also found it interesting that she brought consumerism and the church into the book as that wasn't something I really thought about as part of everything. However, with all that she shared, and so much that I could relate to, I could see that it is. 

Orphaned Believers was such an interesting mix of storytelling and history that I honestly had a hard time putting it down. I also could relate to many of the things she shared. I don't talk about politics much but her historical references and summation of politics and evangelicalism helped me understand better some of what is going on today. Throughout the book, Billups maintains an attitude of love and respect for all people on all sides of the issues, which I appreciated. If you are like one of the many people who just don't know where they fit in to church today, I would encourage you to give Orphaned Believers a read.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through TLC Tours. All opinions within this review are my own. #tlctours #orphanedbelievers


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe