The Words We Lost by Nicole Deese

 


What happens when you are an editor but you've lost your ability to comprehend what you read? Ingrid Erikson is a senior acquisitions editor for a publishing company who has been limping along in her job, struggling to read, after her best friend passes away.  The Words We Lost by Nicole Deese is the story of a grief that is all encompassing until Ingrid returns to the source and is forced to reflect and grow.

The Words We Lost kept me turning pages quickly. I have loved everything I have ever read by Nicole Deese. At the same time, this was not a light read. Oh, there were a few light-hearted moments that were well woven in, but for the most part, this started out as a fairly dark melancholy read. Initially that was a bit of a challenge for me but yet the story kept calling to me. The light kept pouring in though the longer I turned the pages. I liked the characters and found myself pulling for both Ingrid and Joel. The back and forth in time to Cece's writing was easy for me to follow.

My heart was touched by The Words We Lost and the difficulty that grief is. If you have ever lost a loved one, I imagine you can relate. I know, having worked as an editor, I can only imagine how difficult it would be to do your job if you were struggling to read. I also have been in the position of struggling to read as I was going through some challenges. Even though the subject matter was difficult at times, I still felt this was a well-written book that I am glad that I read. I thought Deese handled everything well.

The Words We Lost is the start to the Fog Harbor series. It will be interesting to see where the author goes from here.

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley and the publisher. All opinions within this review are my own. The Words We Lost by Nicole Deese releases on April 11.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe